Cyberlearning at ISLN
Author: Zemni Nawras
Do you really believe that online learning isn’t necessary? Many ISLN students found that online learning is a suitable choice when they are in quarantine.
To fight the Covid-19
outbreak, a countrywide lockdown was enforced in March 2001. Students were required
to attend online classes for nearly two months and take final exams in unique
circumstances. Covid-19 continues to have an impact on life in schools and
universities even after the beginning of the next school year 2020-2021.
With virtual platforms,
however, any student with a laptop, tablet or even smartphone connected to the
Internet can continue his / her education from home in complete physical and
emotional safety. ISLN has opened its doors to students who cannot afford
virtual learning to use the equipment and facilities available and take part in
the experiment.
The pandemic has tested
students’ and instructors’ routines and abilities to cope with atypical hours
and communicate with new digital platforms .It was never a choice, though, since
people's lives were on the line.
“During the Corona virus outbreak, I was quite
terrified of contracting the disease and passing it on to my dear family”, a
second- year English student described his experience with digital learning. “I
became obsessed with using hand sanitizers other kind of protection. However,
since classes turned virtual, I‘ve felt better psychologically. I was learning
at my own pace in the comfort and safely at my house. What I appreciated the
most was that the professors were aware of the terrible circumstances we were
in. They provided psychological support and assisted us in finishing our
courses on schedule. I hope that the crisis will be over soon and that we will
be able to resume our normal lives”.
Other students, however,
have argued that virtual learning is not as beneficial as it appears. Some of
them were unable to participate in virtual courses due to a lack of computers, internet
access, or living too far away from the institute. Others argue that e-learning
will never be as efficient as face-to-face learning since there is no meaningful
interaction between the student and the professor.

Personally, I believe that online learning is not the best
possible answer , and that we can work together to minimize its flaws and maximize
its benefits until the crisis is over.

Comments
Post a Comment